Veg*an in Japan / F.A.Q
Introduction and disclaimer :
First draft/ to be completed.
This quick guide is gathering essential informations to avoid animal related product in Japan. Nevertheless, the official rules about package labeling are not that perfect, and some risks are existing :
– some extract (chicken, beef and especially japanese traditionnal broth “dashi” based on fish)
– shortening, emulsifier could have animal origin. The only way to be sure it’s not the case is to contact the manufacturer.
– To make it whiter the sugar could be bone-char processed. The only way to be sure it’s not the case is to contact the manufacturer.
– Pork could be used for packaging itself. The only way to be sure it’s not the case is to contact the manufacturer.
If you want to be 100% sure to eating a vegan product, go to 100% Vegan restaurants, or buy labeled Vegan product, otherwise you have to accept that there is a limited risk to eat animal product on a vegan lookalike product.
“Vegan menu please.
I don’t eat meat, seafood, eggs, milk or honey.”
“Vegetarian menu please.
I don’t eat meat, seafood.”
肉 Niku / Meat ・ Flesh
ビーフ – 牛肉 Bēfu – gyūniku / Beef
ポーク – 豚肉Pōku – butaniku / Pork
馬肉 baniku / Horse meat
ラム – 羊肉 ramu – yōniku / Lamb – Sheep meat
チキン – 鳥肉 鶏肉 chikin – toriniku / Chiken
魚 sakana / Fish
貝 kai / Shellfish
エビ ebi / Shrimp
蜂蜜 – はちみつhachimitsu / Honey
かつお 鰹 katsuo / Skipjack Tuna, Bonito
XXXエキス XXX ekisu / XXX Extract
卵 tamago / Egg
乳製品 miluku – XXX late – XXX ole – gyūnyū
– nyūseihin / Milk – XXXLatte （Cafe Latte) – XXX au lait (Cafe Latte / Café au lait) – Cow’s Milk – Dairy products”
蜂蜜 – はちみつ hachimitsu / Honey
大豆肉 daizu niku / Soy Meat
豆腐 tōfu / Tofu
ソイ soi / Soy
豆乳 soimiluku / Soy Milk
オーツドリンク soimiluku – āmondomiluku – kokonattsumiluku – ōtsudorinku / Soy Milk – Almond Milk – Coconut Milk – Oat Milk”
“We are happy to share that a 100% Vegan Brick and mortar shop has opened in Tokyo on December 2019.
Accurately named “Vegan Store”” you can find fresh, dry and frozen products being sure it’s 100% vegan.
You can find some Vegan and Vegetarian product in Natural and Organic shop like “Natural House”, “Bio c bon” and some restaurants vege restaurants related are proposing a more or less deep shop part.
We have seen more and more VegeProject Vegan labeled product in main normal store.
Some people ask where to find accessible beans and grains,
If you are around Tokyo, Ameyokocho is a pretty good spot for dry grains.
All over Japan, “Gyoumo Super” could help you to find westerns cans for beans, lentils and chickpeas.
Soon, the map will display a shop section, stay tuned!
If you have a vegan shop or if you find a vegan shop in Japan, please contact us to add the address to our map!